Scam & fraud alerts
Please make yourself aware of these reported scams and cases of fraud and follow the advice given.
Fake letter boxes - 14/12/16
The National Fraud Intelligence Bureau (NFIB) has noticed an increase in reports of fraudsters placing fake letter boxes on residential properties in an attempt to harvest the mail. Residents are sometimes unaware of the fake letterbox as the fraudsters will periodically remove the item, which may leave notable markings. The mail is then used to open various lines of credit with financial providers in the name of the innocent resident.
- Be vigilant and check for any suspicious activity, tampering of your post/letterbox or for suspicious glue markings on the wall.
- Check all post received from financial institutions, even if it appears unsolicited.
- Consider reporting theft of mail to your local police force and any cases of identity fraud to Action Fraud.
- If you have been a victim of identity fraud consider Cifas Protection Registration (https://www.cifas.org.uk/protective_registration_form)
- If you, or anyone you know, has been affected by this fraud or any other scam, report it to Action Fraud by calling 0300 123 2040 or visiting www.actionfraud.police.uk.
Person pretending to be a Luminus Tradesmen
The Police has advised us that a local resident was visited by someone pretending to be a Luminus Tradesmen. This person was not wearing a Luminus uniform or carrying any ID. Please note that Luminus Tradesmen will ALWAYS show you their ID and will be wearing a Luminus uniform. If we send a contractor on our behalf, you will be notified of their attendance in advance. If you are unsure of the legitimacy of the Tradesmen, please contact us immediately on 0345 850 9994. DO NOT let the person in to your home until you are certain of their identity.