If you are finding it hard to pay your rent, contact us as soon as possible. We’ll do what we can to help you get back on track.

The earlier you talk to us, the better. We can usually make an arrangement with you, so that you can pay what you owe in affordable amounts on top of your normal rent.

We have a 'fair but firm' approach to debt. If you miss a payment you don't always have to pay all of your debt in one payment. We can work out a repayment plan that you can afford. However, if you don't pay your rent and reduce your debt, you risk losing your home. 

To help maximise your income, contact our Income and Benefits Advisor on 01480 428521.

Please speak to us first before using a debt management company, as their fees can be high and we may be able to give you the help you need for free. 

Remember, you need to get in touch with us immediately. The longer you leave it, the worse your debt situation becomes. 


Credit U​nion

You may want to consider joining a credit union. Credit unions help their members to save money, plan for the future, and offer loans at interest rates below those offered by door-step credit agencies such as Provident. Unlike banks, members mutually benefit as there is no profit for third-party shareholders. Luminus has partnered with Huntingdonshire District Council, local housing associations and debt advice agencies to register a local Huntingdonshire Rainbow Savers Credit Union. Find out more about the Credit Union.


Can you save money by installing a water meter?

If you pay water charges together with your rent, and there are only one or two people in your household, you could save money by switching to a water meter. To find out if you could save money, either go online or ring your water company:

Anglian Water
03457 919155

Cambridge Water
01223 706050


What happens if you don’t pay your rent

If you don’t contact us, or you don’t keep to your arrangement with us, we will have to take further action.  First we will serve you with a Notice of Seeking Possession. This gives you formal warning that we intend to apply to the Court for an Order to evict you from your home. You will then have four weeks to sort things out with us, before we apply to the Court.

In Court, the judge can give us:

  • an Outright Possession Order – with a date when you must leave, or
  • a Suspended Possession Order – This is still a possession order but you can stay in your home as long as you keep strictly to the terms of the Order - for example, you pay off the rent you owe at a regular amount.

In either case, we will be awarded court costs – adding at least £250 to your debt.

Please feel free to call us to discuss your rent on 0345 266 9760 (calls are charged at local rate).